Lemon Asparagus Toast + Wine Pairing
Avocado toast is so two years ago. Enter: Almond Ricotta Toast with Lemony Asparagus. I’m just kidding, avocado toast, I still love you bb. I’ve recently become obsessed with the fact that vegan brunch is too rare a thing, resulting in a lot of vegan brunch recipes flying through my head (shout out to any eating establishment that offers something vegan other than a sorry fruit cup of soggy cantaloupe and grapes and a side salad with no dressing #rude). Since this recipe involves toast, I’m calling it brunch, so deal with it.
With Fall starting off slowly (uh, the heat tho..) I’m just as slowly sliding into the season with this recipe that’s bright and fresh like the Summer, but still comforting enough for the Fall. A nice heavy spread of almond ricotta sits on a crisp toast and is topped with a haystack of peppery, lemony asparagus. Although I’m obsessing over vegan brunch, this toast can be enjoyed at any time of day. And let me tell you, it will be enjoyed.
Pairing almond ricotta with wine is just like pairing it’s non-vegan counterpart with wine. This vegan thing is not weird, people- we have all the same flavors and textures. This dish goes well with an unoaked white wine, and in this instance I chose an unoaked Chardonnay for a couple reasons:
It was a cheap bottle of wine
Since the toast has lemony flavor, a Chardonnay with oak would have clashed
I could have easily paired it with another white or even a rosé, but tbh I was just feelin’ the Chardonnay
Did I mention it was a cheap bottle of wine?
The Chardonnay I paired this recipe with is Smoking Loon Steelbird 2016 (California). This wine was surprisingly good for the price, and had nice citrus notes that went well with the toast. Chardonnay in general goes very well with asparagus too- so win, win. I found it at my local wine store and recommend you try it, too. You can certainly use another white wine that you like or can find locally.
If you try this recipe, let me know! If you pair yours with a different wine, let me know how it goes! Leave a comment below, or share a picture on instagram with #datkindlife . Stay kind, bbs!
Lemon Asparagus Toasts with Almond Ricotta
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 0 mins Total Time: 10 mins
· 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
· 1 bundle thin asparagus, woody ends snapped off and cut into 2 inch sticks
· 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
· ½ teaspoon lemon zest
· ½ cup almond ricotta, like this (I recommend Kite Hill if you can’t be bothered to make your own- no judgement)
· salt and fresh pepper, to taste
· crushed red pepper, to taste (optional)
· 4 slices vegan bread, toasted (I used Dave’s Killer whole grains & seeds)
1. In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat. Once the oil shimmers, add in the asparagus and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally until tender (abut 2 minutes). Season with salt and add in the lemon juice, remove from heat and allow to slightly cool.
2. In a small bowl, mix the lemon zest into the ricotta until evenly distributed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Spread an even layer of the lemony ricotta onto each slice of toasted bread and top with asparagus. Drizzle with olive oil and crack fresh black pepper and crushed red pepper over each toast. Serve immediately & Enjoy!