Plums are still in season for another month and I plan to use them as much as I can until then. I have my qualms about cooked fruit vs uncooked fruit just as much as the next guy, but when it comes to plums, I like them cooked.
When plums are cooked, they get that super bright red juice and since the plums are tossed with sugar in this recipe, it's sweet and delicious. When I make any small version of a pie, hand pies included, some of the juices tend to run out- and I like it. I'm not sure if theres a more humble treat than a pie you pick up and eat with your hands, so I embrace any messes that come with it.
As a major lover of the Fall, I feel like these hand pies are a great transition food into the cooler days filled with pumpkin spice everything and maybe the occasional light sweater (shout out to living between SoCal and SoFla).
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment below, or share a picture on instagram with #datkindlife . Stay kind, bbs!
Plum Hand Pies
Prep Time: 30 mins Cook Time: 15-20 mins Total Time: 45- 50 mins
· (2) vegan refrigerated rolled pie crusts (I used Pillsbury)
· 2 ½ cups sliced plums (about 6-7 plums)
· ¼ cup granulated sugar
· 1 tablespoon cornstarch
· 2 tablespoons plain unsweetened almond or soy milk
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the sliced plums, sugar, and cornstarch.
3. On a lightly floured surface, unroll the pie crusts and cut each one into 4 even sections (think pizza slices or pie chart).
4. Spoon 1/8th of the plum mixture into the center of each “pie chart slice” of pie crust. Brush the edges of the dough with plant milk and fold the dough over the filling to create a smaller “pizza slice” shape. Crimp down the edges of the pie with a fork. Cut a small slit in the center of the pie to allow steam to escape while baking.
5. Place each folded and crimped pie on the parchment lined baking sheet. Once all pies have been formed, place the baking sheet into the fridge to cool for 15 minutes.
6. Once cooled, add the baking sheet to preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the crust is golden. Allow to cool, then serve!