Pizza Bread + Wine Pairing
Pizza and bread are super foods. Like, "they're super foods to eat"...not superfoods like goji berries and maca. But what do you get when you put two super foods together? A super duper food. #science
This pizza bread is extremely easy to make, with only a few ingredients and a baking time under 20 minutes. This flaky log of dough and melty cheesy goodness is made with a crescent dough sheet, vegan mozzarella, and vegan pepperonis. If you can't seem to find vegan pepperonis, or just don't like them, you can leave them out or replace them with your favorite pizza topping (or just extra cheese).
Now clearly this is not a pizza, but all the flavors of an awesome pizza are here. Typically I feel that pizza is paired well with beer, but beer is also extremely filling and doesn't have the antioxidants that red wine has (clearly I care about health guys, I'm eating crescent dough stuffed with cheese). Wine is also very easy to pair with pizza- what doesn't go with pizza? *cough* pineapple *cough* Ultimately, I like red wine with pizza, and this time I chose a Frappato. This Frappato has a sort of dark cherry meets sour cherry meets black pepper quality to it, and that sits just right with me for pizza bread.
The Frappato I paired this recipe with is Far + Wide 2016 (Terre Siciliane, Italy). I found it on Winc and recommend you try it, too. You can certainly use another red wine that you like or can find locally.
If you try this recipe, let me know! If you pair yours with a different wine, let me know how it goes! Leave a comment below, or share a picture on instagram with #datkindlife . Stay kind, bbs!
Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 15-17 mins Total Time: 20-22 mins
· 1 vegan refrigerated crescent dough sheet (I used Pillsbury)
· 1 cup shredded vegan mozzarella (I used Follow Your Heart)
· 35 slices vegan pepperoni (I used Lightlife Smart Deli)
· 1 tablespoon plain unsweetened soy or almond milk
· 1 tablespoon vegan parmesan cheese sprinkles (optional; Go Veggie is good)
· 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
· Marinara, for dipping (optional; make your own or store bought)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Unroll crescent dough sheet and lay on parchment lined baking sheet. Evenly distribute the mozzarella shreds on the dough, leaving about a ½ inch border of plain, un-cheesed dough.
3. Lay the pepperoni slices evenly over the cheese. Fold the shorter ends of the dough inward about 1 inch, so it just slightly overlaps cheese and pepperoni. Now, tightly roll the long side inward (think hotdog style, not hamburger style). Roll all the way until you have a dough log formed and no cheese or pepperoni is showing. Place the seam side of the roll down on the baking sheet to ensure it doesn’t unravel during baking.
4. Brush the top of the dough log with 2 tablespoons plain unsweetened plant milk. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning evenly over the milk-brushed dough.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 15-17 minutes, or until golden brown. Slice log into pieces and serve with marinara for dipping.