Citrus Fennel Salad + Wine Pairing
I'm grateful that as strong as my love is for sweets, I'm equally as obsessed with salads. With tons of fresh produce and citrus available and the sun beating down on you in the Summertime, it's almost a sin not to dive into a big salad everyday.
This salad is loaded with citrus and can be adjusted based on what oranges you have available at your local grocery store or farmer's market. Blood oranges are some of my favorites to use when I can find them, but I used grapefruits, Cara Cara and Valencia oranges this time around. Fennel is a veggie that not everyone appreciates, since it has a sort of light "licorice-y" taste to it. Raw in this salad, the fennel lends a sweetness that cuts through the more bitter grapefruit. Thin slices of avocado add a healthy dose of fat and the fennel fronds and mint brighten up this salad even more while adding a feathery, whimsical look.
Sauvignon Blanc is a super friendly white wine and it goes great with this citrusy salad. I chose a dry Sauvignon Blanc, since there is a sweetness present in the salad from the ripe oranges and fresh shaved fennel. The crispness of the wine compliments the bright mint and grapefruit flavors in the salad and pleasantly balances the sweet fruit. The healthy fats in the avocado and olive oil mellow out the acidity and the fresh black pepper plays well with the mineral notes of this wine.
The Sauvignon Blanc I paired this recipe with is 2016 Diviner (Santa Barbara County, Santa Ynez Valley). I found it on Winc and recommend you try it, too. You can certainly use another Sauvignon Blanc that you like or can find locally.
If you try this recipe, let me know! If you pair yours with a different wine, let me know how it goes! Leave a comment below, or share a picture on instagram with #datkindlife . Stay kind, bbs!
Citrus and Fennel Salad
Prep Time: 20 mins Cook Time: 5 mins Total Time: 25 mins
· 2 red grapefruits
· 2 cara cara oranges (or other variety)
· 2 valencia oranges (or other variety)
· 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
· 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave
· 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
· 2 fennel bulbs, halved, cored and thinly sliced
· ½ avocado, peeled and sliced thinly
· 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds
· 2 tablespoons fresh mint
· salt, to taste
· fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
1. Using a sharp knife, peel the skin and pith (white stuff) from the grapefruits and oranges. Cut between the membranes (clear-ish stuff) to release skinless sections. You can also cut some of the citrus into round slices. Squeeze the membrane over a bowl to get out any juice from them.
2. In a small bowl (not the juice bowl), whisk the olive oil, lemon juice and maple syrup together. Add in 3 tablespoons of the grapefruit/orange juice. Mix well and add salt/pepper to taste. If you have any juice left over, add it to cold vodka and make yourself a lil loosey-juicy.
3. On a serving platter (or plate…or bowl) toss the fennel and citrus segments with the dressing. Top it off with the chopped fennel fronds, avocado slices, and mint. Eat up.