Watermelon Poke Bowl
If you don't know what poke is, were you even awake in 2016? For those of you that didn't hop on the trendy bandwagon two years ago, poke is a Hawaiian dish normally made of raw fish. Since the only fish vegans eat are Swedish Fish, we're going to use some tasty watermelon instead. Don't worry though, I'll save the Swedish Fish recipes for a later date.
Before you assume this is some weird vegan trade-off, hear me out...Although the watermelon sort of looks like the typical fish poke, that's not why I chose it as the star of this dish.
In season for the Summer
Super absorbent and soaks up all the flavor (ever filled a watermelon with vodka? #summermood)
Mild enough in flavor to compliment the dish, not overpower it
Like traditional poke, this recipe uses soy sauce, sesame oil, and green onion. Allowing the watermelon to marinate in the sauce is essential to get the classic poke flavors really poppin'. You can customize your poke bowl with toppings, or just eat it as-is. This is a super easy recipe and is sure to be enjoyed by both vegans and meat eaters.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment below, or share a picture on instagram with #datkindlife . Stay kind, bbs!
Watermelon Poke Bowls
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 0 mins Total Time: 2 hours 10 mins
· 1 cup scallions, chopped
· 6 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari)
· 2 teaspoons sesame oil
· 2 teaspoons chili paste
· 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
· 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
· 3 cups watermelon, cut into ½ inch cubes
· 2 cups cooked rice of choice (I use sushi rice)
· Persian cucumber, thinly sliced (optional)
· Avocado, sliced or cubed (optional)
· Macadamia nuts, chopped (optional)
1. In a large non-reactive bowl, mix scallions, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili paste, rice vinegar, and sesame seeds until well incorporated.
2. Gently toss in the cubed watermelon until coated in the sauce and refrigerate for at least two hours, tossing the watermelon in the marinade once every hour to ensure even coating.
3. Serve over cooked rice and garnish to your heart’s content!