Roasted Beet Salad + Weekly Wine Pairing
Summer is among us, which means the veggies are growing and the Rosé is flowing. Luckily for me, I'm in the group of people who like beets in all their earthy glory (I'm also in the weird group that like cilantro, even though it makes my spine itchy for some reason).
I firmly believe Rosé was meant for a hot day and a cold salad. The almost citrusy acidity of the wine dances with the orange in the vinaigrette, but it still has enough body to stand up to the beets. The pistachios and vegan cheese are a confetti of healthy fat on the peppery greens, adding the perfect balance to the crisp wine and citrus. If you were to alternate bites of this salad and swigs of chilled Rosé straight from the bottle, with no breaths in between, I would not judge you. Ultimately, this roasted beet salad and crisp Rosé are a match made in food & wine heaven.
The Rosé I paired this recipe with is 2017 Rêve d'Été Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence. I found it at World Market and recommend you try it, too. You can certainly use another Rosé that you like or can find locally.
If you try this recipe, let me know! If you pair yours with a different wine, let me know how it goes! Leave a comment below, or share a picture on instagram with #datkindlife . Stay kind, bbs!
Roasted Beet Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 45-60 mins Total Time: 1 hr 5 mins
· 8-10 ounces kale, chopped or baby kale, unchopped
· 3 medium sized beets, roasted and diced into quarter-sized pieces*
· ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
· ½ cup roasted pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
· 1/3 wheel Miyoko’s cheese, broken into small “crumbles” (I used Garlic Herb**- their farmhouse or rustic alpine would work great too!)
· ¼ cup olive oil
· ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
· 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
· 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
· salt and pepper, to taste
1. First, make the dressing. Add all ingredients to a blender** at a medium speed, until well combined. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Set aside until salad is assembled.
2. Spread out kale onto serving platter, or large salad bowl
3. Layer the beets and red onion on top of the kale. Crumble the cheese pieces on top of the salad.
4. Drizzle a few tablespoons of the dressing over the salad and sprinkle the pistachios on top.
*To roast beets, preheat oven to 450F. Rub the outsides of beets (unpeeled) with olive oil. Wrap beets in aluminum foil, place them into a pie pan or on a baking sheet and roast whole for 45-60 minutes. When beets come out of the oven, allow them to cool for a few minutes before handling. Once cool enough to handle, peel beets under cool running water by sliding your fingers firmly along the skin. The skin should peel off easily if cooked fully. Dice peeled beets into bite sized pieces.
**If you use a creamier cheese like I did here, it helps to break it into small chunks, then spread them out on a plate to refrigerate while you make the rest of the salad- this will help the crumbles keep their shape. If you chose one of their aged/firmer cheeses, this step won’t be necessary.
***If you don’t have a blender, you can whisk the dressing ingredients together in a bowl or shake them up in a mason jar.