Creamy Mashed Potatoes
With Thanksgiving just 4 days away, it’s time to lay out the facts:
Turkey is a bird that wanted to live.
Food made with compassion tastes better.
Mashed potatoes are the real MVP.
All delicious mashed potatoes have two things in common: salt and fat. That includes these creamy, vegan, cholesterol free whipped delights. I’m not saying these are a health food, don’t get me wrong. But I am saying you need to whip up a healthy serving and devour them- maybe with some easy vegan gravy like the one I made for my Danksgiving Sandwich? Mashed potatoes are a classic Thanksgiving side dish, and one of the few side dishes that are commonly served year-round (so be sure to save this recipe for future use- trust me, you’ll want to make it again).
These potatoes are very simple with only three ingredients, plus salt and pepper. Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best, and that is certainly true in this case.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment below, or share a picture on instagram with #datkindlife . Stay kind, bbs!
Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 25 mins Total Time: 40 mins
· 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced in ½ inch pieces
· 4 ounces vegan butter, melted
· ½ cup vegan half & half (I used Ripple, but have also used Nut Pods unsweetened plain creamer in the past and it works great too!)
· 2 teaspoons kosher salt
· ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1. Place peeled and diced potatoes into a large saucepan and cover fully with cold water. Place lid on the pan and bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Once boiling, remove the lid and lower heat to a simmer. Cook potatoes about 15-20 minutes, or until easily crushed with the back of a fork. Drain potatoes into colander.
3. In the empty saucepan, add the butter, half & half, salt, and pepper.
4. One cup at a time, add the potatoes into the butter mixture and smash them with a potato masher. Once all potatoes have been added and mashed, stir everything together really well to be sure the butter and seasonings are mixed throughout and the potatoes are smooth.
5. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.